Orbetello is a city of about 15,000 inhabitants located in the center of the Orbetello Lagoon, an important natural reserve.
The city of Orbetello is joined to Monte Argentario by a road built in 1841 on an artificial embankment (the dam), which divided the lagoon into two bodies of water.
The lagoon area of Orbetello is delimited towards the sea by two strips of sand called “tomboli”: the “Tombolo of Feniglia” and the “Tombolo of Giannella”. They are two stretch of sand of about 6 km each.
Founded in ancient times by the Etruscans, it was an important Roman city.
Visiting the historic center you can appreciate ancient monuments such as the walls that surround the city.
These ramparts are of Etruscan origin and were reinforced in the 16th century, when the Spaniards completed them with the opening of the imposing doors and the construction of the fortress.
Also noteworthy is the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, whose clear facade is softened by a beautiful rose window, which, according to some, could even be traced back to the name of the city.
The real estate market in this part of Tuscany is very active especially for those who want to buy a house close to the most famous cities of art and at the same time enjoy the beauty of the sea and the beaches.
The Spanish mill located in the center of the calm lagoon waters is very suggestive.